Thomas Leonard, who died at the age of 49 in 2003, was my coach, mentor and friend. He was also a genius and one of the early founders and definers of the coaching profession. He founded the International Coach Federation and the organization now known as Coachinc.com, where I got my training as a coach.
Anyone who spent any time around Thomas could never keep up with the flood of ideas, discoveries, realizations, learning and projects he was immersed in/discovering/sharing. We always felt as though we were running to catch up as he charged ahead into possibility and experimented, wrote about and developed a body of knowledge about human development and human evolution that to this day I strive to do my best to live by.
The below is something I haven’t seen in a while, and I’d like to thank my colleague Suzee Ebeling for publishing it once again on the Masterpiece Thomas group on Facebook. For some, the reaction to these 21 strategies will be “Of course.” For others, they’ll be hard to grasp or understand. But I can assure you that Thomas always knew what he was talking about, and if our purpose here is to evolve (and I believe it is), then these are concepts to live by. Enjoy.
21 Personal Evolution Strategies
Copyright 1999 by Thomas J. Leonard and CoachVille LLC 2006.
To evolve more quickly and easily…
1. Surround yourself with new ideas instead of recycling your beliefs. Beliefs can limit your ability to experience life as it unfolds.
2. Make chaos your friend. The unexpected is a good thing as long as you’re open to it.
3. Let your environments do most of your evolutionary work for you. Evolution occurs as you adapt to such environments.
4. Use tolerations to your advantage. Every single thing you are putting up with is an opportunity waiting to be leveraged.
5. Constantly experiment. Synchronicity is the reward.
6. Spend more time in nature. Nature nourishes and recalibrates our natural systems.
7. Become the host of a thriving network. Let your network evolve you as you serve them.
8. Continuously integrate all aspects of your life. Integration evolves you from being needlessly complicated to being richly complex.
9. Invest in your virtual environments, not just your physical environments. Life is becoming more virtual.
10. Design your sources of energy. You can then operate at a higher frequency.
11. Become superconductive. Reduce the energy you consume by 90% by reducing your resistance to life.
12. Master the evolving set of Cyber Skills. Extend your intelligence by connecting with everyone.
13. Surround yourself with people who are eagerly evolving. They spark you. You spark them. Evolution occurs effortlessly.
14. Stop resisting. Assimilate events the first time they occur.
15. Choose a goal that is bigger than you are. Be pulled forward by it, instead of pushing yourself.
16. Get over yourself in every possible way. Arrogance holds you back.
17. Learn how you naturally operate. Come to honor your personal dynamic.
18. Know your gifts. And design your life to fully express them.
19. Emotionally heal. Healing maximizes your emotional IQ.
20. Cause something and surprise yourself. Initiative is a muscle.
21. Make what you don’t know more interesting than what you do know. Enjoy learning more than teaching.